We go through phases at our place for breakfast. For a while it is waffles… and then cereal… and then bacon… and lately it has been french toast and/or eggs in a basket. Those two seem to be my young son’s go-to morning selections right now. So, I decided to get creative with the two. And that is how we came up with the new standard of breakfast excellence in the Youngblood house… Eggs in a French Toast Basket!!
– Medium mixing bowl
– Large mixing bowl
– Shot glass
– Cooling rack
– 2 cookie/baking sheets
– 1 cup half-and-half
– 3 large eggs
– 2 tablespoons honey (warm for about 20 seconds in the microwave)
– 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
– 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
– Powdered sugar
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 8 (1/2-inch) slices day-old or stale country bread (brioche is great if you can get your hands on some)
– 4 eggs for the baskets
– In the medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the half-and-half, 3 eggs, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. When ready to cook, pour your yummy custard creation into the large mixing bowl and set aside.
– Preheat the oven to 375.
– Cut a hole in the bread by pressing the shot glass down through the middle of it. (My son thinks its cool that I am using an “adult beverage” glass to make his breakfast)
– Dip the bread into your French toast mixture and allow it to soak for 30 seconds on each side. Then remove it to the cooling rack that is sitting on the baking sheet, let it sit for a couple of minutes.
– Over medium-low heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large, non stick frying pan. Put 2 slices of bread in the pan, breaking an egg into each slice’s hole. Salt and pepper just the egg then cook approximately 2 to 3 minutes on the first side, until the bread is golden brown on the bottom. Carefully flip and cook another 2 to 3 minutes on the other side.
– Remove from pan and put the “baskets” on a cookie sheet in your preheated oven for 3 to 5 minutes. Repeat with all 8 slices.
– Serve immediately with butter, maple syrup, and powdered sugar!
Want to learn more about my work, my lifestyle brand, and how my fun, full-service, concierge approach to real estate can help you?
Give me a call or send me a text at 850.842.1010. You can also email me directly at email@example.com.
Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you!